Experience Study Abroad in Costa Rica
Travel to Costa Rica for 2 weeks this winter session while earning credits toward your Accelerated BS in Nursing degree!
Dates: Jan. 2, 2024 – Jan. 17, 2024
Location: San Joaquín de Flores, Costa Rica
Faculty Lead: Ann Becker DNP, RN [bio]
Application & Deposit Deadline: Sept. 18, 2023
Program Price*: $3,895 – $4,025
*Final program cost subject to change depending on enrollment numbers
- Day trip to La Paz Waterfall
- Irazu Volcano & Orosí Valley
- Tropical Rhythms dance class
- Guest lectures from Costa Rican health care professionals
Ready to get started?
Connect with Christina Lorimer, Education Abroad Advisor
Ticos live by the phrase Pura Vida, which translates to “Pure Life”. Pura Vida goes beyond a simple translation though; in Costa Rica, it is a way of life for the locals. It encapsulates a laid-back, optimistic lifestyle and living one’s life to the fullest.
Watch this video to see what it is like to study abroad in the land of Pura Vida!
Transportation & Travel Documents
- Group airport pick-up in San José (SJO), with transportation to San Joaquin de Flores
- Group airport return in San José (SJO)
- Ground transportation on all program activities, as necessary
- International airfare
- Passport processing fees
- Luggage fees
Room & Board
- Accommodation with a host family for program duration
- Homestay to provide linens, towels, and weekly cleaning
- Three meals per day provided
- Group welcome meal, farewell meal, and one cooking class meal
- Lunch included during 2 scheduled day trips
- Any additional meals or activities not specified or listed as “not included”
Academics & Faculty
Health, Safety, Security & Advising Support
Health, Safety, Security:
- API on-site Resident Director available 24/7 for emergencies
- Every API Resident Director is thoroughly trained in emergency response and receives ongoing training and support
- Health, safety, and cultural orientation upon arrival to Costa Rica
- UMass advising: enrollment, finances, academics (credits, transcripts)
- Pre-Departure orientation: culture preparation, logistics, health and safety information
- International Travel & Accident Insurance
- 24/7 health, safety, and security emergency lines
- Re-entry resources and support
API offers best-in-class programming, with student well-being a high priority.
Our mission is to create better global citizens through international experiential learning. API programs are developed to be transformative, career-boosting experiences that include:
- Community involvement through optional volunteer programs with API Gives Back
- Cultural awareness through relevant coursework and time spent in multicultural student groups
- High-touch student support throughout the program
Academic Programs International (API) was founded in 1997 and is dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable experiential learning programs. Their extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API participants are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. They strive to make international educational experiences accessible to as many participants as possible, and, as such, works to provide multiple program components at a low program cost.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
API is committed to providing enriching international experiences to its participants. We believe in the importance of promoting acceptance, dignity, and respect among people of all backgrounds. No matter who you are or where you come from, API will support you during your journey abroad.