Portugal: Aging in a Global Society
with Worcester State & API
Program Dates: March 15 – 23, 2024
Faculty Lead: Dr. Nicole Rosa & Dr. Emily Soltano
Application Deadline: 10/13/2023
Program Price: $2,995*
Course: PS 297 Special Topics: Aging in a Global Society
Aging in a Global Society will explore the ways in the which the aging of the population will impact society across cultures. We will examine the social, economic, medical, and political implications both in the US and abroad in light of changing demographics. The average age is increasing globally and the fastest growing age group in most of the world is (or will soon be) the over 85 group. We are an aging world and this has significant implications for all aspects of society.
This course will examine the ways in which culture influences aging policies and practices. The US culture is one that focuses heavily on independence and individualism. As an interdependent, collectivist culture, Portugal presents an interesting comparison for students accustomed to the culture of the US and many other European countries.
Course Details & Academics
PS 297 Special Topics: Aging in a Global Society
- 3 credits
- Course satisfies requirements for LASC – DIV, TLC, and HBS; Honors
- Students will participate in in-person class meetings before and after spring break program
- Guest speaker on the topic of Portuguese national healthcare system
- Guest speaker on the topic of elder care
- Guest speaker on the topic of Elder Policy in Portugal
Please note that this itinerary is subject to change
- Survival Portuguese Workshop
- Tagus River Cruise
- Day Trip to Obidos
- Tour the Castelo de São Jorge
- Explore Mercado de Santa Clara and visit the National Pantheon
- Belém Walking Tour and Pasteis de Belém tasting
- Portuguese Cooking Class
- All participants will need a valid passport to enter Portugal
- Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay
Housing & Meals
- Accommodation in shared hotel rooms for program duration
- Linens and towels, weekly cleaning,
and internet access
- Daily breakfast at hotel
- Group welcome meal
- Group farewell meal
Health & Safety
- API on-site Resident Director to implement and oversee the program itinerary and serve as an emergency contact available 24/7.
- Every API Resident Director is thoroughly trained in emergency response and receives ongoing training and support. In the event of an emergency, they are ready to enact
emergency action plans.
- Included medical insurance
- Pre-departure advising
- Group airport pick-up and drop-off
- Group welcome and farewell meals
- Local transportation card
- Day trips + transportation
- Medical Insurance
NEW - Fare Finder!
In an effort to reduce financial barriers and increase access, we are offering the Fare Finder™ app right inside of APIConnect to provide access to discounted airfare for academic travel. With Fare Finder, we’re making educational travel simpler and more accessible than ever before.
Financial Aid Resources
You might be surprised to hear that you can use financial aid to study abroad! API does accept all forms of financial aid according to approval from your home university or organization.
Don’t let a missing passport derail your study abroad plans! International travelers are itching to get back out there so processing time for passport applications and renewals has increased. Apply for or renew your passport as soon as possible to ensure your study abroad plans stay on track!
Let’s Get You Abroad!
Complete the form to get in touch, and we’ll follow up to answer any questions you may have!
Connect with Your School
For more information on this program, or how to get the process started at your school, reach out to your study abroad office!
If you’re ready to apply, click below to begin your application.
API offers best-in-class programming, with student well-being a high priority.
Our mission is to create better global citizens through international experiential learning. API programs are developed to be transformative, career-boosting experiences that include:
- Community involvement through optional volunteer programs with API Gives Back
- Cultural awareness through relevant coursework and time spent in multicultural student groups
- High-touch student support throughout the program
Academic Programs International (API) was founded in 1997 and is dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable experiential learning programs. Their extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API participants are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. They strive to make international educational experiences accessible to as many participants as possible, and, as such, works to provide multiple program components at a low program cost.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
API is committed to providing enriching international experiences to its participants. We believe in the importance of promoting acceptance, dignity, and respect among people of all backgrounds. No matter who you are or where you come from, API will support you during your journey abroad.